Greenbush Cemetery

“The Blue and Gray Ball” Registration


“The Blue and Gray┬áBall” is primarily a fundraiser for the restoration of Greenbush Cemetary. The Blue and Gray Ball celebrates the civil war history of Tippecanoe county and those civil war soldiers buried in Greenbush Cemetary.

Greenbush Cemetery was conceived out of desperation when the city’s graveyard – where St. Boniface Church now sits – ran out of plots in the 1830s. About the same time, Lafayette trustees purchased land about one mile north to become the city’s burial ground, according to the Greenbush Cemetery tour guide booklet. In 1847, a group of local movers and shakers – including John Purdue, Godlove S. Orth, Cyrus Ball and David Ross – purchased the land that is now a buffer between main city roads and a residential neighborhood. By 1848 it was incorporated and kept up by the Greenbush Cemetery Association. The property expanded once more in 1865. The cemetery is now under the ownership of Fairfield Township since the signing over of the deed from a private association. The original section, or the northwest corner, still belongs to the city of Lafayette. The old section is identifiable by the length of unknown Civil War Union and Confederate soldier graves along Greenbush Street.

Costumes are encouraged but everyone is welcome.

If you can’t attend but would like to donate to Greenbush Cemetary, please follow this link: